I love a good bargain, so I usually wait until the November markdowns to shop for the fall season. This year, however, I signed up for a Nordstrom card and for the past few weeks, my inbox has been flooded with news about their Anniversary Sale. Even though I feel like summer has just begun, I found myself buying a few fall pre-season items. Here’s why…
- After years of only buying end-of-season markdown items, I found myself with LOT of basic black styles. Seasonal colors and prints often sell out before the end of the season. Now, if I want a specific color or print, I buy it early and wear it more.
- With a few key items, I start planning some outfits that I can reach for in a hurry (which seems to be…always!)
- I like to take time (away from the shopping frenzy) to “sit with” my decisions. Pre-season items are often returnable, whereas markdown items may be final sale.
These are a few items that I think are great buys for the fall pre-season….
$ I bought this Lucky Brand Bebhina Waterproof Western Bootie style at Nordstrom. These booties have a nice soft padding inside, and the heel is low enough for walking. The camo print is a fresh alternative to the animal prints that have flooded the market.
$ These Splendid Carla Buckle Booties are currently on sale at Anthropologie.
Wear these booties with jeans, dresses, skirts, cropped pants, or jumpsuits.
Trench Coats And Rain Jackets
$ This Something Navy Water Resistant Plaid Glossy Trench Coat caught my eye. It’s a little long and snug for me, so I haven’t decided whether or not to keep it. If you’re taller than me (I’m just under 5’4″), it may be a good fit for you.
$ Halogen has a similar glossy trench coat in a shorter length and more subtle print, but reviewers have said that it runs large so take that into consideration when choosing your size.
For a casual short option take a look at Sam Edelman’s Contrast Hood Glossy Rain Coat (which also runs big, according to reviewers.)
I bought this Equipment silk blouse when I went to Chicago in June. It’s from Nordstrom Rack which stocks previous season items. I love the brick color and pleated detail on the sleeves. Note, that if you are petite like me, Equipment sizing is fairly long. I had to have 1.5′ taken off the hem, and the slit in the front closed up an inch. I left the sleeves long for dramatic effect!
$ This Eileen Fisher V-Neck Shirt is made of Tencel/Recycled Polyester but is in a similar teracotta color.
$$ Equipment’s Delainey Silk Shirt is in a unique print and cut (check out the unusual sleeves) but it is final sale so be sure that it fits before you buy it.
$$ If you’re looking at their latest collection, take a look at this Equipment Slim Signature Shirt in Rose Cloud Multi. It’s a beautiful print, and style that can be worn tucked in or left out.
How To Shop During Fall Pre-Season
- Nordstrom creates the most buzz around their fall pre-season Anniversary sale, but take a look at other retailers too. Most of them start to show fall options now. J.Crew is offering 40% off on certain new items. Check their website for more details. Banana Republic currently has a flash sale on regular priced items, including their Vegan Suede Moto Jacket and plenty of fall friendly sweaters.
- Sales can be overwhelming, so check your closet first and make a list of what you actually need. I love online shopping for this reason. I can filter out the distractions.
- Think outside of the season. The pre-fall collections are made for milder weather, so they may also be appropriate for the spring. Consider buying some neutral colors, season-less prints (polka-dots, multicolored florals, animal prints, and stripes) and lightweight fabric.
Are you ready to think about fall? Or are you relishing every minute of the summer? Let me know in the comments below!